The Heinrich Böll Stiftung (hbs) is a German Political Foundation affiliated with the Green Party in the German Federal Parliament. The hbs Regional Office for East and Horn of Africa based in Nairobi acts as a people-centric green think-tank. We facilitate inclusive dialogues, offer expertise and, in partnership with like-minded people and organizations, develop innovative perspectives along the core themes: Gender Democracy, Sustainable Development and Regional Dialogue.
What are we looking for?
Heinrich Böll Stiftung is looking for a full-time Communications Officer who will have the overall responsibility to develop the brand and communications strategy for the HBS Nairobi Office to effectively share our messages, helping us and our partners to achieve our vision for East and Horn of Africa. The Communications Officer will report to the Regional Director.
Position is open to Kenyans or Ugandan and Tanzanian citizens for whom a work permit can be secured. Salary is up to KES 2.2 Million annual plus benefits.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Develop Communications Strategy, key messaging and approach to support the hbs Nairobi Office’s goals and vision
- Develop a Content Strategy.
- Establish cross-platform communication plans that harness the effectiveness of both digital and traditional media.
- Engage in proactive and reactive media relations, including maintenance of database
- Monitor and coordinate Social Media activities with focus on community management.
- Generate and publish content for the media (e.g. press releases), digital platforms (e.g. e-newsletters, blog articles) and submit texts for print information material
- Maintain and update website content
- Setup and manage digital marketing activity including paid & organic search, site optimisation, online influencer networks and social media advertising.
- Produce a wide range of communications material.
- Identify media and advertising opportunities.
- Develop a supporter and contact database.
- Representation of the Director in matters Public Relations after consultation
- Responsibility for the implementation of the joint tasks of gender democracy and diversity in communications work and in the office overall
- Engage in proactive and reactive media relations in coordination with the Director: act as media contact
- Work with suppliers to develop multimedia materials such as short videos, photo stories, and webinars
- Cooperation with project partners in consultation with the Director: Provide communications counsel and service to hbs partners
- Contact person for communications work in coordination with the Director
- Managing contracts with external service providers, in consultation with the Director or the head of administration (request for proposal, negotiations, conclusion, monitoring of performance): e.g. websites, social media optimization, layout, print, article, videos
- Continually monitor, learn from and optimise communication effectiveness.
- Prepare and present media monitoring reports
- Manage the annual communications budget.
- Developing of finance plans for communications activities.
- Responsible for compliance with the statutory provisions and the rules of the Heinrich Böll Stiftung within communications work
Education & Person profile requirements
- Highly motivated, pro-active individual that identifies strongly with the values of the Green political movement
- Tertiary education with qualification in public relations, communications studies or media studies
- 2+ year’s proven experience with strategy development and implementation including in a non-profit environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including copywriting and editing skills
- Excellent programme management skills, including experience in M&E
- Good knowledge of budget planning and controlling
- Ability to use Wordpress, Blogger, Facebook, Twitter and preferably an Email Marketing Service Provider such as MailChimp
- Graphic design skills (e.g. Canva, Adobe In-Design), website editing skills (working knowledge of CMS such as Drupal)
- Proficiency in database management
- Ability to work as part of a team and be self-motivated
- Ability to coordinate with team members in different locations around the world
- Attention to detail and aesthetics
- Initiative, creativity and a willingness to learn
- Ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities
- Ability to build and motivate a team and work within a diverse multi-cultural team with high sensitivity to issues of gender and diversity
How to apply:
Send your application including a cover letter and a detailed CV highlighting relevant experience, details of current and expected salary, contact details and professional referees to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.