Who is hbs?
The Heinrich Böll Stiftung (hbs) is a German Political Foundation affiliated with the Green Party in the German Federal Parliament. The hbs Regional Office for East and Horn of Africa based in Nairobi acts as a people-centric green think-tank. We facilitate inclusive dialogues, offer expertise and in partnership with like-minded people and organizations, develop innovative perspectives along the core themes: Gender Democracy, Sustainable Development and Regional Dialogue.
East and Horn of Africa is a beacon of political stability and an engine for inclusive growth in Africa with a democratic, accountable and inclusive leadership that actively promotes gender equality, religious and ethnic tolerance and rights of minorities, including sexual minorities; investing its resource wealth in creating opportunities for an educated, healthy, largely young and politically active population while following a low carbon development path and supporting climate resilient livelihoods, committed to the principles of food sovereignty.
What are we looking for?
Heinrich Böll Stiftung is looking for a full-time Programme Coordinator who can develop, coordinate and manage all projects under the Gender Democracy Component of the Regional Office. The ideal individual is a highly motivated self-starter, who is as comfortable in a boardroom as in a community roundtable in a rural area, with a passion for social justice and gender parity in Kenya and the region. This will help us and our partners to achieve our vision for East and Horn of Africa.
Key roles and responsibilities:
- Analyse national, regional and international socio-political developments relevant to the Gender Democracy Component in order to adapt the conceptual approach and project activities
- Represent and promote the Foundation’s strategies and principles at stakeholder meetings, networks, conferences and other events
- Provide support to and actively collaborate with partners including training and orientation
- Develop, plan, implement, monitor/evaluate and report on (including financial) all programme activities under the Gender Democracy Component
- Plan and support the organization of events
- Manage and monitor contracts with partner organizations, contractors and consultants
- Manage the component budget
Networking and Communication:
- Maintain contacts with the programme relevant national and international organisations as well as journalists in mainstream media and social media influencers
- Contribute to the website and other social media channels of the office
- Maintain a supporter and contact database
Some mandatory requirements:
- Masters Degree in Development Studies, Gender Studies, Sociology, Political Science, International relations, or related fields
- At least five years of relevant experience in a senior position with an international organisation working in Kenya or the region
- A demonstrated ability to advocate for gender issues locally, nationally and ideally, internationally, including an ability to initiate and follow through on advocacy
- A passion for social justice and a demonstrated commitment to the goals or priorities of the organisation
- Excellent understanding of gender and diversity concepts and theories
- Excellent conceptual and analytical skills (verbal and written)
- Excellent project cycle management skills, including experience in M&E
- Good knowledge of budget planning and controlling
- Good knowledge of MS Office, MS Excel, power point
- Good knowledge of common social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook)
- Superior verbal and written communication skills in English
- Highly motivated, pro-active individual with demonstrated ability to work under minimal supervision
- Ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities
- Ability to build and motivate a team and work within a diverse multi-cultural setting
- Familiarity with feminist theory and practice is desirable
What is on offer:
We offer a challenging, creative and intellectually stimulating career experience as part of a global network of passionate professionals that drive social innovation, transformation and political change. We believe in honouring our staff’s commitment to our work and vision, providing opportunities for the professional and personal growth of our team members. Salary will be based on industry norms commensurate with skill and experience. Benefits include insurance and pension schemes.
Application process: Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Application: Programme Coordinator Gender Democracy. Include a detailed CV with at least three references and a motivation letter. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
First published 6 June 2017. Position remains open until filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.